Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Broke Back Anniversary

From August 2011

It's been 7 years since I broke my back. Had I not marked Aug 8th on the calendar this year I might not have remembered. That's a good thing. It's healed, I don't hurt any more. (not my back anyway) Still, I try to remember the date every year and celebrate by riding somewhere awesome. The 401 trail in Crested Butte is one of the best anywhere, and for the first time in three years Mary felt good enough to go too.
From August 2011


We camped just off of Kebler Pass. It was so refreshing to be chilly at night. Down below, in the Grand Valley, we haven't used the word "chilly" since April. When Dinka and I popped out of the tent in the early morning we found a fawn had bedded down a few feet away. It bounded away like Tigger with Dinka hot on its trail crazily mimicking the young deers hops. As usual she came back without a prize.
From August 2011


From August 2011


Our trip was to be a short one, so we got down to the business of riding bikes. We found Schofield Pass still closed! Still snow covered in mid August. The nice thing was after a certain point there wasn't much traffic.
From August 2011


The high altitude took its usual effect on me, making me feel weak like a kitten, but its hard to complain while being surrounded by some of the most awe inspiring, flower covered, mountains on earth.
From August 2011


From August 2011


From August 2011


From August 2011


From August 2011


From August 2011


From August 2011


From August 2011


From August 2011
One fork leg, one little ear...and sweet singletrack ahead.

From August 2011


From August 2011


From August 2011


From August 2011


From August 2011


From August 2011
Perfect singletrack, wild flowers in every color, clean air, blue skies, green lakes, sweet bikes, towering purple mountains, a fast little dog, hands that work, a back that ain't broke, LIFE IS GOOD!!!

1 comment: